Conversations

When they finally meet again, she says Why didn't you ever say so?
To which he says, Didn't you ask me not to?
And she says, Don't you know me at all?
And then in a pause filled with the vacuum of things forgotten, leftover things, she looks at him. He looks at her.
She says, Anyhow, this is my daughter.
Which one? he says.
This one. In pink. She's moving a little, so it's a bit blurred.
Oh, that's ok. What are the odds of my ever needing to recognise her, right? and he smiles.
Her throat closes up a fraction, she feels strangely conscious of her undone top button and felt like the French perfume she was wearing today after many years was rising up all around her in a thick cloud. Why did I wear this goddamm perfume, she thinks idly, But I wonder if he remembers it.
So what now? she says aloud. And then Frank leans over and kisses her on that exact spot where she had a few hours ago (just early enough, so the late-blooming subtle note would come out ever so slightly) dabbed her perfume. He looks at her hungrily and says out of an imperative courtesy, You still want to do this?


It's not happening, Frank, She says in the morning.
Are you kidding. I thought this was what you wanted.
It's just not happening...
Oh for God's sake, Amy, what the hell is wrong with you!
Look, Frank, don't take this so personally. We both know it was over a long time ago. This was fun, but come on!
I don't get it. Is this part of the plan? Am I missing something here?
I can't believe you just said that! You just ruined it! How is anything supposed to work if you don't give a shit!
This is crazy! Who does this?! Running away from things isn't getting us anywhere! Why can't you just fight like everybody else?!
This is all just a joke to you! I can't believe you still feel that way! Goddamm it Frank! All I ask you to do is use your imagination a little and stop seeing your goddamm wife when you look at me!


While they fume, Amy thinks, Now THIS book is going to SELL. Alright Frank, she says. See you tomorrow? Frank...? Frank!

The hotel room suddenly looks emptier to her than it looked a while ago.

2 comments:

Raza Yaseen said...

Please visit my English ghazal blog, The Tree of Voice, @ thetreeofvoice.blogspot.com and Urdu ghazal blog, Khahish-E Sang, @ khahish-esang.blogspot.com.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your visit and comment. Though I've broken the rule once or twice, I'm a purist when it comes to sustaining the qafiya-radif exactness because I believe it is an integral, even uncompromisable, part of the definition of the ghazal.